Sunday, August 7, 2011

Shopping for the Backyard Wedding: Fabric Decorations


I have to admit: shopping for backyard wedding decorations is more pleasurable than I expected it to be at first, what with my overall reluctance to help with things before we'd really put a solid plan into place. There may be people out there who don't like shopping for pretty things, but apparently I'm not one of them!

The best part for me was buying yards and yards and yards of tulle. Tulle is a fun, versatile fabric, that makes just about anything look more festive. Also, I haven't had much opportunity to buy tulle in my general day-to-day dealings with the fabric store, so that was fun. We picked up 50 yards of the stuff in three different colors (the wedding colors - light blue, dark blue, and white, of course), which hopefully will be plenty for our needs.

I also selected some different types of ribbons when I was there in white, silver, and gold. Not sure exactly what the ribbon is going to be used for yet (ha, look who's disorganized now!) but I was thinking of using it to tie the swags that we plan to make out of the fabric. And for decorating vases, and securing the bouquet. And generally just for making things look as pretty as possible.

Also during this trip I purchased a few frosting tips for decorating the wedding cupcakes, which we plan to bake and decorate ourselves (eep!). Hopefully we'll figure out how to use them without too much trouble before the big day.

By the way, the store we went to was Joann's. I highly recommend it, if you have one in your area.

2 comments:

  1. I like Joann fabric store. Don't leave those 40% off coupons at home though! I hear Joann's even offers an app these days : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the coupons are awesome. Definitely a great way to save on wedding costs!

    ReplyDelete